Our Client combines technology and ethically sourced patient data to help people everywhere get better care. To do this, they have created a unique partnership with the NHS that delivers a return to their partner Trusts and unlocks the value of clinical data for research while safeguarding patient privacy. Alongside this, they develop clinically validated software applications that create clinician and patient benefit while providing highly curated data. Our clients products include vital-signs monitoring in hospitals and patient-to-clinician apps to support self-care and remote monitoring of gestational diabetes and chronic diseases such as COPD and heart failure.
The Company uses their proprietary clinical AI technology to analyse ethically sourced, clinically curated, anonymised patient data to solve serious unmet medical needs across a wide range of therapeutic areas, enabling a new approach to clinical trial design, drug discovery, development and post-marketing surveillance.
The Role – Biological/Clinical Lead
- As a domain expert in the handling and interrogation of patient-level data (e.g. electronic health records, clinical trial data), you will join a fast-growing team using diverse clinical and biological data to translate analytic findings rapidly to drug discovery programmes. As the Company process increasing volumes of clinical data, you will bring your experience of integrating such data into research programmes to join a cross-disciplinary team of experts in machine learning, computational biology, and drug discovery. You will be instrumental in being the clinical view and interface with the AI – team, building the Companies capabilities for understanding patient subgroups and druggable disease mechanisms.
- As the Biological/Clinical lead for the Systems Medicine team you will be responsible for ensuring patient focus for all projects. You will be the central patient and clinical/biological resource for the data-scientists and computational biologists to ensure projects maintain a clinically and biologically relevant focus.
- This role involves working closely with the data science team across a range of therapeutic areas, ensuring there is a solid biological rationale for the research, along with a clear patient benefit is delivered for each project.
- In collaboration with the BD team you will translate business and clinical requirements into product/technical requirements. This means building the strategy and operational requirements for the use of clinical data into the drug discovery and development pathway.
Responsibilities – Biological/Clinical Lead
- Lead analyses of patient-level data, using machine learning techniques, for identification and characterisation of patient subgroups defined by clinical features and/or disease trajectories.
- Work with the data science team to bring expertise in state-of-the-art clinical data ontologies and data formats
- Publish research results in national and international conferences and scientific journals.
Requirements – Biological/Clinical Lead
- MBBS or PhD in health informatics, applied statistics or general molecular biology with experience to bioinformatics/machine learning
- Experience working with anonymised patient data, epidemiological longitudinal observational data, or working within the NHS
- Experience working in a cross-disciplinary teams (Bioinformatics, Biologists, Computational Biologists). An understanding of how ML techniques applied to longitudinal data from EHRs can be used for various stages along the drug discovery and development pathway would be highly beneficial
- Experience in handling and analysing longitudinal discrete and continuous data at the individual patient level. Understanding of how analysis of longitudinall, high dimensional clinical data (either from EHRs or clinical trials) can lead to patient benefit or impact on the drug discovery and development pathway
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and cross-functional teams
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with ability to influence at all levels and in across departments.
- Excellent knowledge of, and practical competence with clinical data ontologies, data models and formats.
- Working knowledge of drug discovery and development
- Previous experience working with clinical data, within an academic or commercial setting is an asset.
Benefits – Biological/Clinical Lead
- Company share option scheme
- 5% employer matched Pension scheme
- BUPA Health Insurance including Partners and Children cover
- Free Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- A challenging and fun environment that rewards results